Saturday, June 06, 2009

Welcome to the Kent Today & Yesterday Blog

Hello, a very warm welcome and thanks for visiting my blog.



My name is Glen. I am 41 years old and live with my wife and young son in North Kent. I was born in Kent and have spent most of my life living in the county apart from a few years spent working overseas.



I am very proud of my home county and would like to take the opportunity, through this blog, to tell you about some of the great places you can visit here today.



Kent also has a very colourful and interesting history and I will be writing some posts on this subject too which I hope you will enjoy reading.



For those of you who may be unfamiliar with British geography, Kent is one of the thirty nine historic counties that make up England which, together with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland constitute the United Kingdom (Great Britain).

Kent occupies the South-East corner of England and has a long coastline with some very fine clean sandy beaches. The coast is formed by the River Thames and Estuary in the North merging into the English Channel to the East and South.

Kent has a land boundary with Greater London, Surrey and East Sussex to the West. It's population is currently around 1.6 million.

It is traditionally known as the Garden of England as it was once a very important centre for the production of fruit such as apples and cherries as well as hops used in brewing.

Britains oldest brewing company Shepherd Neame is still based in Faversham although the growing of hops has reduced dramatically in recent years due to cheaper imports.


I hope you will have found this post of interest and welcome any comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment